Monday, August 17, 2009

The Birth of KEGO


I'll let you in on a little secret. I think that part of the reason that my husband agreed to the name hyphenation (not that it was his decision, but I did want his stamp of approval) was the fact that he loved the new initals. K-E-G-O.

For my entire life, I have asked my mother what possessed her to give me the initials KEG. keg---like a keg of beer. A fact that my friends reminded me of daily. It was the reason that I didn't have my initials embroidered on my LLBean backpack. Katherine seemed like a safer bet.

She says that she always visualized my name in monogram (yes, we are very Kentucky!)---little k, big g, little e. KGE. Needless to say, my initials have been of interest to many friends and classmates. It has been the source of nicknames--including those of my husband.

I've known him now for 13 years. There is some discrepancy in this number (another story, another time), but for my purposes, 13 years. He, too, has long been on the band wagon of calling me "keg." Let's face it---if you know me---it is a pretty funny name. I couldn't be further from a bar hanging-out, party girl.

When we would discuss me changing my name after the wedding, we were somewhat sad to lose this name. Keg, no more. As much as I complained about it, I had actually grown to enjoy my initials. It was now funny to me, in a way that it hadn't been in elementary school. KGO? That just wasn't as cool.

Fast forward to the post-honeymoon car ride home. We had agreed on the hyphenation. Katherine Elizabeth Greene-Owens. Yes, it was long, but we were keeping it all.

Again, for those of you that know my husband, he has an unparralleled quick and witty tongue. I could see the wheels churning in his head. Oh goodness--what is he about to say.

KEGO!
he exclaimed.

KEGO?

KEGO! KEGO! That's you! KEGO!

KEGO? Like an EGGO waffle?

Yeah. KEGO. Lego my KEGO.

The new me was born.



~warmly~
Katherine

2 comments:

  1. Yay. I love your blog. Thanks for linking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I love saying KEGO. That's how you were in my phone for a while...

    ReplyDelete